Friday, November 2, 2007

IN the world

I am naive.
I am innocent.
I live in a bubble-world.

I went to lunch with some guys that I work with today. We were discussing immigration and how people get away with it. If the US is so against it - then why don't they do something more about it? Seems to me that everything is pretty laxed, but then again there's not much they CAN do. It's all about who's willing to pay more, and I'm pretty sure that border patrol will never be paid enough to follow the rules.

Apparently all you need in life is money. If you have money you can go anywhere and do anything you want. So what's my deal? I just need to get some money and I'll be fine. I would be able to travel, I'd be able to go to school, I would be able to have hands-on experience with different cultures, and it would all just be amazing!!

I want to learn. I want to travel. I want to get out of my bubble. I want to do something different with my life. I want to be exposed to different things. I want to know how other people live. I want to be able to carry on a conversation with someone and be able to actually give something to it and not just be surprised about it all. I would like to be able to share my fountain of knowledge with someone about things from first hand experience, not from stories of other people.

Can't I do that? Can't I go see the world? Can't I experience other things in life that are common with people of the world? Can't I experience things or be exposed or be around things that the kids I will one day be helping are exposed to every day? Can't I be around other people to see how they live??

I want to be more in the world. Not OF the world, but IN the world. I know nothing and have seen nothing. So I want to have my eyes opened and experience everything I possibly can.

How can I do that? Besides losing my fear of everything I don't know and getting out of comfort zone, HOW DO I DO IT??

(The conversation was about illegal immigration and social security numbers and such, but then I started thinking about traveling and learning and seeing new things. I had no idea about any of that. I am REALLY sheltered so I have got to open my eyes and learn/see new things.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can help with all of this... ;-)