Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Seasons

There is Spring - when everything starts to grow after hibernation and everyone is anticipating warmer weather, Summer - when there are lots of kids running around naked from peeling off the wet swimming suits and hot dogs on the grill, Fall - leaves all around and all sorts of good smells along with kids going back to school, Winter - when everything hides away and the world is covered with white fluff that is cold yet when freshly fallen it doesn't seem to be quite freezing outside.


Yesterday - after I finally decided to drag myself out of bed from the late nite with the singles and take a shower - I decided it would be a good idea to take the new dog for a walk. His name, as I've now deemed him, is Lancelot for he is my knight in shining armor and will always be there when I need him and is so glad when I come home. (Let's just forget that I'm also the only one that feeds him.)

I hooked Lancelot up to his much despised leash and went outside in a sweatshirt, yoga pants, and wet hair and we proceeded to walk. There was a breeze in the air that gave me a slight chill. I was almost bummed, but then I realized that it was the 1st of January, I wasn't bundled up in a parka freezing to a popsicle when holding still, and there was nothing white on the ground. Wait a second - white stuff on the ground? What is that?

I recalled somewhere in a vague memory from years past that during the supposed winter months, there was to be cold, white, wet stuff all over the outside. Aw - SNOW! Of course!! Whatever happened to Snow??

This is not a complaint. I have absolutely NOTHING against warm weather. But there are times when a nice, freshly fallen snow would be nice to have. Especially if I don't have anywhere to go and can just curl up with my dog, a book, and a cup of hot cocoa.

I'm sure my small chihuahua appreciates not walking in snow as well.

Winter doesn't seem to exist in the southeast regions very much. Yes, there are bitter cold months. And it does get QUITE cold actually. But snow doesn't tend to fall so it just doesn't quite feel like winter - it's more like an icebox.

Just a thought I had while walking my dog on the nice New Year's Day without freezing the both of us into statues.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, who needs snow, especially if you grew up in CA, like me.

However, you better force yourself to get out of that house instead of curling up with your K-9 Knight in Shining Armor. This could be very unhealthy. ;)

Saxon said...

we occasionally get a very thin layer of white stuff that people call snow.

It's nothing like the snow I remember from when I was a lad though.