Saturday, October 3, 2009

From a Distance

A song that Bette Midler sings. I've sung it for years and hadn't really thought truly about what it was saying....

From a distance, there is harmony, and it echoes through the land. It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace, it's the voice of every man.
From a distance we all have enough, and no one is in need. And there are no guns, no bombs, and no disease, no hungry mouths to feed

Such words makes me feel like the world is great and wonderful. It's truly Heaven on Earth. But then the song says that:

God is watching us. God is watching us.

Of course God is watching us.

God is watching us from a distance.

If God is watching us from a distance, then wouldn't that be saying that He's seeing us as stated above. That from a distance everything is great, grand and wonderful. I am pretty sure that the song is truly saying that God is watching from a distance, so to Him, everything seems great and He does not interfere, He does not listen, and He does not help. That is a terribly sad thing to think.
The song still sounds pretty and I will still sing it, but I do not believe it. I do not believe that God only watches things from a distance. I believe that God loves us and absolutely knows what's going on - firsthand, not from a distance.

No comments: