Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Goal/Inspiration


My brother is my inspiration. He is amazing. Dave has done so many things in his life, traveled so many places. I wish I could do that. I've always wished that, but for some reason I don't seem to do anything to make it happen.
Dave graduated from high school a year early. And got his bachelor's before he left on his mission. I attempted - but only got a semester early, which really it only gave me more time to play and waste money.
Dave went on a mission for the church to Chile. And then he's gone back to visit multiple times.
Dave joined the Peace Corp and went to Africa to help.
I have wanted to be able to go to another country, or even our country, and help those who just need some teaching to make their life better and easier.
Dave has gotten his masters and is currently working on his PHD. I have not even received my associates.
Dave is currently in Africa again visiting/helping. He's been there a few weeks. He then leaves again for Honduras for another adventure.
I have not even been out of the country once.
I'm not trying to compare myself to my brother. There's no way. We are so different. But I am comparing the fact that there are so many things I've wanted to do with my life and have yet to do so. Look at what Dave has done and experienced before he's 30! I am still young, or people keep telling me. So why don't I do this now? Why don't I make things happen? What am I afraid of?
I don't think I want to go to all the same places as Dave. But there are definitely a lot of places that I would like to visit.
Australia
Brazil
Jamaica
Africa
India
Egypt
Etc
And I want to do amazing things. I want to be help in natural disasters. I want to go and show people how to have good hygiene. How to take care of children. How to keep a clean house. There are some things I want to do that can be done in the US. But apparently I'm just too lazy to actually find the opportunities and make them happen.
And that has got to change.
I can't just keep living my life in the "I want to do this, I want to do that" but not actually doing any of it. I have nothing holding me back. Yeah - there are some things I would have to change if I wanted to make other things happen. I would not be able to spend my money constantly. Traveling is expensive. I need to put things into perspective. I think I need certain things, but then I remember that I'm actually very blessed and can do without all the niceties that I think I 'need.' It goes back to that saying, "Break it in, use it out. Make do, or do without." I might have that wrong, but you get the idea.
I need to start making things happen. I need to not let myself slack and be lazy. I need to constantly be on the go. I need to be productive.
I don't want to look back at my life after I'm older and realize that I didn't do any of the things that I kept wanting to do. I don't want to look back and regret not taking chances, making mistakes and enjoying life. I need to start doing something...

5 comments:

Ader Family said...

the difference is dave makes things happen and has no fear. if you really want to do something figure out a way to make it happen.

ReL said...

I agree with the previous comment. I love you and I don't want this to sound harsh but....
Stop talking about it and DO IT :-)

Lyla And Company! said...

Steph, he is such an amazing guy doing amazing things...but, in a whole different way you too are an amazing person doing amazing things as well. I could never have done what you did, move out on my own, find a job, apt in a new city and then make it work like you have done! You should do things to help others and you can find those opportunities right in your local area too...you don't have to travel to third world countries to do that...just pray and ask the Lord for those opportunities to be made open to you...I like this post and I love Dave! heck i love ALL the Aders! Your mom was always such a huge inspiration to me!!!

Unknown said...

I know some people that you could teach to clean their house and have hygeine...whenever you are ready to work...give me a call...heck, you could start at my house...not the hygeine, but the cleaning.

Unknown said...

And, just in case Dave reads this....so he won't get a big head...we all know that he has his issues too, just like the rest of us...when I figure out what they are, I will be the first to let him know :)