Friday, April 30, 2010

"1....2.... Don't fall asleep or he'll get you...."


That's not really how the quote goes. It's more of "1....2.... Freddy's coming for you." But I think my change of it is true too!!
I was an idiot, or just really nice, I don't know which. My friend invited me to go to a midnite special screening/preview of the new 'Nightmare on Elm Street.' And for those of you who don't know, I don't particularly like scary movies. Intense is great! Horror, evil or something similar is not really something I want to watch. I was stupid enough to go watch 'Paranormal Activity' (which I had previously refused to watch) with this same friend back in the fall. I definitely think it's time for us to go see happy, silly, and perhaps even romantic movies. I'm done with the scary - for a long time at least.
I would have to say, that through most of the scary movies I've seen, there tends to be a pattern. I understand that Freddy came first, or early in the classic horror films. But, at least in this version, the child molester thing was not a surprise. I have never seen the original so I don't know what the story behind Freddy really is in that one. But this version was him being a child molester of some sort, although they never came straight out and said it. There are a lot more movies since then that have been about that. 'American Haunting' - yes, I'm going to ruin it for you - was about her father molesting/raping her. It seems like it's a crazy evil thing, but it turns out that it's just about her father being a disgusting man. There are others as well, but that was the first that came to mind.
I don't know about you - but that is a very disgusting thing and having horror movies that have that underlying thing isn't really that scary. I mean, it is, but it makes sense that they are being haunted and the kids are freaking out because it's a seriously awful thing to have happen to them.
Memories can't kill you, but repressed memories and emotions can. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that: Yes, this was a scary movie with scenes that made you jump, gross things happen, but ultimately I feel like I wasn't that scared from it. I'm not afraid of him haunting my dreams because I don't have any repressed memories/feelings.
So - looks like I'll be okay and survive sleeping. Which is good cuz I'm kinda tired today.

2 comments:

ReL said...

1st-yeeah you and this friend need to go see something not so creepy. LOL Even if it's not a romance go see an action movie.
2nd- It disgusts me that people are making money off of rape. I realize it is something very real and very present in this world but to make movies about it? Seriously? It makes me wanna kick hollywood in the nuts.

Suzi Q said...

Yeah I don't know what the hell you were thinking! You do have VERY white teeth. I need to do mine but you aren't supposed to during pregnancy. Let's just get fat and yellow teeth instead!